What are antidepressants?
Antidepressants are drugs that are used as a treatment for depression. Depression is an emotional state where a person feels sad, hopeless, and unhappy most of the time. People with depression tend to have low self-esteem and a lack of interest in activities that they usually enjoyed. Mood swings are also common. Depression may be triggered by traumatic experiences such as the loss of a family member or divorce, unhealthy lifestyle like smoking and alcohol intake, genetics, certain health conditions like underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism), hormonal imbalance, excessive stress, etc.
Why taking antidepressants is not a good solution for removing depression?
There are many reasons why you should not take antidepressants. Such as:
1) Taking antidepressants will only cause your body to be dependent on them.
2) Antidepressants are associated with serious side effects and adverse reactions, including allergic reactions in the mouth, pharynx, tongue, throat; cardiovascular problems like arrhythmias (irregular heartbeats), tachycardia (high resting heart rate), chest pain; nervous system disorders like anxiety, insomnia, headache; endocrine disorders such as gynecomastia (breast development in men), galactorrhea (excess milk production); GI tract disorders like dry mouth or constipation, etc.
3) Drugs do not restore any real chemical imbalance.
4) Antidepressants cause mental and emotional changes such as akathisia (inner restlessness and inability to remain still), nervousness, anxiety, irritability, aggressiveness, panic attacks; worsening of depression or manic episodes in bipolar patients.
5) Patients can become psychologically and/or physically dependent on antidepressants.
6) In some cases antidepressants have caused people to commit violent acts including suicide and homicide
7) There is no rationale for the use of drugs for a psychological disorder as opposed to natural methods like exercise, meditation music therapy, etc.
8) Most of the adverse effects are due to drug-induced serotonin syndrome which can result in death through cardiac arrest. Some side effects are permanent.
9) Antidepressants are used by psychiatrists as “chemical restraints” in order to keep their patients sedated and manageable for a longer period of time.
10) In numerous cases antidepressants have been linked closely with suicides, violent crimes, anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, psychotic disorders like schizophrenia/psychotic depression, and other psychological disorders too
11) Even one of the head researchers of drug companies associated with the development of antidepressants Allen Frances (who is also a professor at Duke University), stated these drugs should never be given to children or teenagers as they may lead to self-harm or suicide.
What is the natural alternative to antidepressants?
The natural alternatives of antidepressants are:
fish oil, vitamin D3, and omega 3 fatty acids. Our brain consists of 70% of fat and no cholesterol. Cholesterol is only a structure on which our neurons are built. Without the essential nutrients that we get from food or supplements, our neurons can not work properly, resulting in depression and other mood problems such as bipolar disorder.
Therefore, it is recommended by almost all psychiatrists not to take antidepressants at the primary stage of any mental disorder rather try natural methods so that the side effects can be avoided and also to avoid any adverse reactions. Even if it does not work perfectly then better to consult professional psychiatric services in Orlando.
Some extracurricular activities can prevent you not to taking antidepressants. Check out our article: https://psychiatrists-orlando.com/ways-to-get-mental-peace/ to know about those activities.